Thursday, October 8, 2009

A New Beginning, by Mark Mai

I felt happiness when I had my grandmother. I was born in China, in 1985. I moved to San Francisco when my Grandmother died at that time I was very sad, because my grandmother loved me a lot. When I turned 5 years old, I just said: “I want a toy train” and my grandmother bought it for me right away. I was very happy to have this grandmother. I had my first salary in 2008. I didn’t work in China, but when I moved to San Francisco, I decided to work because when I go to work I can learn more English and have to get more experience, and I didn’t have to ask my mother when I needed money .


The most important thing I learned as a child was never give up. My family was not rich, so my father and my mother had to work. My brother and I were left at home all the time. I was old, so I had to take care of my brother, but I was just 7 years old. I liked to eat chocolate and play with my toys, but my family was poor, so there was not too much money to buy things. My family and I lived in China. My hobbies were painting and playing basketball. I had many friends. I knew them in school, but Jian Huang was different. He was my best friend. We played together from when we were small. We lived in the same place, so our feelings were the best. I still remember one time. I learned how to ride a bicycle. I fell down all the time and hurt my body. I wanted to give up, but Jian Huang told me: “you wanted to do something, but you just failed two times or three times. If you say: “I want to give up”, you will never do these things. In the end I learned to ride a bicycle and I never forget I have this friend.


My life in San Francisco has begun. Now I live in San Francisco. I have been here for 4 years. My family includes my father, mother, brother and me for four people. We live together. If we have difficulties, we can help each other. I have many friends. They usually call me to play basketball or go ice skating, but sometimes they are very busy, so there isn’t any time to play with me. I have a part-time job in a restaurant. I’m a waiter. My job is taking orders and serving guests. I have to go to school every day because my English is not too good, so I have to learn more English or get a better job for me. My hobbies are playing basketball, listening to music and using the computer, so I usually play basketball and use the computer online with my friends. I like to eat good food and watch NBA basketball, but I don’t know how to cook. I don’t like to do housework because it is so hard for me.


What things will I do? I am very happy I came to the USA because here people all speak English, and there are many good English teachers to teach, but the best is it still free. My short-term goals are to take my driver’s license and citizenship test this year. My main goals are to learn English well and get a good job. My wishes are family health and happiness. I hope I will be a basketball player and buy a house. I will be getting practice basketball player and earn more money. I will get married in 5 years. I will go on a honeymoon to Japan. It is very beautiful. I will be educated well for my children at home in 10 years. I will build a house in my hometown in 20~30 years because I love my hometown. If my wife and I retire, I can go back my hometown. My dream is to travel around the world. Now I am earning more money, so my dream will come true.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

You learned a very valuable lesson from your friend when you were young. I see you have many goals for your future, and I hope they all come true.

Denise

Anonymous said...

I hope your life will be fine,happy.

Anonymous said...

TIAN

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark

You 7 years old ate chocolate and played with your toys, I 7 years old just ate yams and I had nothing to play with. That's not fair.

Sai Kit yu