Friday, January 30, 2009

The thing I would hold- an "estampita"

By Liena Diaz

While I was in Cuba I had a lot of things to hold:
in one sacred place in my home there were a Cuban flag, some of my favorite books and my mom’s necklaces. No matter what, those things were always with me like an amulet.
But I left my country, and from that day forward everything changed for me.

As a Doctor, I wasn’t allowed to leave Cuba in any legal way, so I decided to come by sea risking my life.
Once I was determined I left my home, and that day I took nothing but a purse.
Inside that purse there was what I will keep for as long as I live: we, Cubans, call it “estampita”.
An "estampita" is a sort of laminated card, usually a painting of a Saint. It's smaller than a real postcard, and people use them to worship. You can usually get them in church, but in my case, I got mine from a woman who took care of me for years while I was living in Havana and whom I loved like a mother.

During my trip to the US, I realized that when people are afraid they need to believe, and people who I shared that "sea-adventure" with, weren't the exception, so while we were in the forest (we were hidden in there for 3 days) we spent a lot a time worshipping and asking God to protect us. It was then when my little postcart became the most important common treasure we had.

Fortunately our adventure was a success.

After arriving to America, my little "estampita" got a new meaning for me: it also represents now what I am, where I come from, and where I want to go on in life.
That's why I keep it in my wallet, so I can remember everything I have been through... just in case I forget.

2 comments:

joe said...

hi, Liena

your etampita is so useful.

joe

Denise said...

Liena,
Thank you for sharing your estampita and also the memory of your amazing journey to the U.S. The fact that you arrived here safely is one reason why you keep it with you always!