Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Do I look like a terrorist? (I hope not!)


Have you ever been in a situation where nothing else seems to works but admit you are the stupidest person in the place? Well… I have. It was January 3rd, 2008 and I was at the Camaguey Airport, in Cuba. We, my boyfriend and I, had been in his parent’s house spending the holydays, but once he got his plane to the Bahamas, it was my turn to go back home, in Havana City.

First of all, I didn’t have any tickets, so I was at the airport just waiting for an “extra-plane” in one of the busiest day of the year, when “normal people” were peacefully traveling with their reservations, and transportation everywhere were collapsed. But there I was, just waiting for some luck.

As it always happens, the “international-woman-voice” (I really think there is just one woman in the world, who is in charge of every airport announcement no matter what country is) said I got lucky and a flight to Havana was arriving. Finally I’d get home! I was pumped! But it was right then when the odyssey began.

I had never taken a plane by myself, that was actually the second time I would ever been in one, so I didn’t know what I was allowed to carry as hand luggage or what wasn’t. I just went there, got in line, and waited my turn.

Once it arrived and my luggage was checked, one guy told me I needed to leave the line and go to an office. Everybody in there was upset at me because I was carrying scissors, one knife and fork in my hand bag. They said maybe I was a terrorist. But the funniest thing was that they were even thinking I would hijack the plane to come to the USA! Anyway, after more than one hour arguing with them, they realized I was just one tired (dumb?) girl who didn’t know anything about airports and just wanted to get home.

Finally, after confirming I wasn’t a terrorist, they allowed me to leave. I was the last person who got the plane that night, but 2 hours later I was arriving home. There I fell asleep right away, because it was the only possible way to get over such a misunderstanding day. I also learned a lesson: from that day forward I never go to an airport without checking my luggage at least 3 times. And I really hope I will never go to that airport again!

No comments: